Updated: May 31
I've been obsessed with my CanCooker ever since I first cooked with it. This recipe tastes like it's been cooking all day but really took under an hour! The meatballs themselves are juicy and flavorful but you've gotta try my homemade sauce recipe!
For the Tomato Sauce
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (I use San Marzanos)
8 ounce can tomato sauce
6 ounce can tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp fresh basil chopped, plus more for serving
2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped, plus more for serving
1 tbsp oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp pepper
For the Meatballs
1/2 lb ground venison
1/2 lb ground mild Italian sausage
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup beef broth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp Italian seasonings
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
For the Subs
6 hoagie rolls
1. In a large bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients. Using an ice cream scooper, shape the meat into equal sized meatballs.
2. Place the meatballs into the Cancooker. Brown on low to medium/low heat.
3. Once the meatballs are browned, remove them from the Cancooker. Then, add in minced garlic to the now empty CanCooker and let cook for 1 minute.
4. Pour in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water. Then add cheese, sugar, herbs and seasoning. Give it all a good stir.
5. Add back in the browned meatballs and cover. Cook on medium heat for 30-45 minutes, stirring a few times during the cook time.
6. To serve, slice or fold open each hoagie roll and top with meatballs and sauce.
7. Garnish with additional Parmesan and fresh basil or parsley.